Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Busy, busy, busy

So it's been quite a while since I wrote anything. This has largely been due to the fact that I have been writing, umm, HTML, PHP, Java.

See, I had the perfect storm this winter/spring. I rolled into the year with two projects at work both demanding something like 30-40 hours of work (per week). So I was kinda busy. I managed to wrap one of them up and was looking forward to a little peace and quiet and our public school system's key support organization raised the flag, "We need a secret weapon! We simply have to get this prop 2 1/2 override through this year or our children will be reduced to the educational level of the frogs they currently dissect!" So, since I helped write the last 'secret weapon', actually a pretty cool marketing database and application, I had to improve it for this round. [For the uninitiated, prop 2 1/2 is a law in MA that restricts town taxation unless the town has a vote.]

In this case, 'improve' is defined as renovating the UI, adding 20 new features (they were just the 'high priority ones'), and then getting it through the 'test organization' (my friend Michael), a guy whose ADD translates into massive bursts of defects and new requirements.

We were in the throes of that little bit of work, when this same friend (good friend!) convinced my wife that it was time to run for School Committee. So, another Web Site was born (in 10 days flat). I'm pretty proud of the work. She loves it, and we're getting positive feedback from people we have directed to it.

Very exciting, but I'm a little tired - especially since I am moving into another big project at work! Wheeee!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Citizens for Needham Schools and the Yes for Needham Campaign have a new slogan!

"We need a secret weapon! We simply have to get this prop 2 1/2 override through this year or our children will be reduced to the educational level of the frogs they currently dissect!"

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home